negotiating with my korean hagwon bosses about staying a few months beyond the end of my contract

in my last post i wrote a bit about the frustration i was feeling about the lack of communication/planning from my bosses about when i'm leaving, etc. since i have been informally negotiating staying beyond the end of my contract, i had no clue when i would be leaving the country and consequently, how much money i would be able to save for my trip, what plans i should be making, etc.

well, i still don't have a 100% set-in-stone answer, but i have more info now. and i have renewed my ARC (alien registration card) so i am legally allowed to be in the country for up to another year. getting this done was a bit of an ordeal and really stressful for me (turns out, needlessly). i kept asking my bosses about it and they kept telling me they were waiting for some form from immigration to come in the mail. well, it got to the point where there was only a week left before my card expired and i brought this to their attention. this was on last thursday. my boss took my ARC and passport to immigration on monday and got it all sorted out. there really wasn't any need for me to be stressed, because obviously they are going to sort it. they're the ones who would be in trouble if it expired... still i was extremely stressed and ill over it for weeks. 

they photoshopped my photo for my id. classic korea.

they photoshopped my photo for my id. classic korea.

very official id card renewal procedure involving a black marker and scotch tape (so the marker won't smudge)

very official id card renewal procedure involving a black marker and scotch tape (so the marker won't smudge)

anyway, after i got my card and passport back, i asked about my leaving date. i told them clearly 2 or 3 times that i want my last day at work to be november 7 (a friday) and i want to fly out on the following monday. they said they can't tell me my last date yet because they don't know when the new person is coming. this whole concept is a little shady. my contract is up. i don't have to stay any longer, but i have told them i want to stay until november. a long time ago, like maybe early june, i spoke to them briefly about the idea of me staying for a month after the replacement teacher comes to "train" them and help get them used to life here or whatever. i said i would do it even though it means i'll have to share my apartment with them and i'll be half-time so i'll be getting half my wages. i did not agree to stay indefinitely until they find a new teacher, etc. right now i'm not too worried about it even though at the moment it sounds like i'll probably end up having to stay another week or two beyond when i was hoping to leave. we'll wait and see when the new person gets here. if it gets too late, i'm just going to have to be like, "look, it's time for me to go. buy my plane ticket now, please." i really want to leave korea before it gets cold!!